Being one of the critical identification documents of India, Aadhaar assigns a 12-digit unique identification number mentioning basic demographic and biometric details of an individual.
Aadhaar scheme is the main purpose of the Indian government behind the introduction of this Aadhaar card. It was fixing leakages identified in different governmental schemes for poor people. It means that the Aadhaar scheme brings unified identification of all Indian individuals. This is without any discrimination based on social status, color, religion, caste and gender and so on.
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) possesses the responsibility of handling all the Aadhaar-related issues and services. This statutory authority facilitates different benefits and services to all the Aadhaar holders. It includes such as downloading e-Aadhaar or making corrections in details registered in Aadhaar and many more.
It is difficult to predict when the need to change/update details in Aadhaar arises such as name.
Change Name in Aadhaar Card – Detailed Guide
Aadhaar card mentions the basic demographic and biometric information of an individual. It can be used as proof of name, address, or date of birth. Therefore, it becomes essential for Aadhaar possessors to keep their demographic and biometric details. It is needed to update for maintaining their eligibility to avail services and benefits associated with Aadhaar.
- Incorrect capturing of demographic details such as name during the Aadhaar enrolment process.
- Changes in life events including marriage especially for women who change their name or surname after marriage.
- Change in the local language in which the demographic information is printed on Aadhaar.
- Different names registered in Aadhaar and other supporting documents such as PAN card or Passport.
- Misprinting or spelling mistake in entering name during the Aadhaar Enrolment process.
Aadhaar Card Name Change Process
Earlier in the Aadhaar enrolment rules, UIDAI declared different manners using which Aadhaar holders may change/update their names in respective Aadhaar. At the Aadhaar scheme introduction time, three methods of updating names in Aadhaar were declared. These methods comprise of visiting the enrolment center, via post and self-update through the self-service update portal. But according to recent notifications by UIDAI, Aadhaar holders can change their name in Aadhaar by visiting the Aadhaar enrolment/update center.
Methods for Updating Aadhaar Name
UIDAI has terminated the other two methods of updating name through SSUP and speed post to the regional office of UIDAI. If you want to change your name in Aadhaar, follow these simple steps and you will be able to accomplish your purpose with the investment of a few minutes.
Find your nearest Aadhaar enrolment center
- Aadhaar enrolment centers are available in almost regions and states of India for delivering greater convenience to individuals. If you have no knowledge of your nearest enrolment center, you can find it online through the official UIDAI website.
- Go to https://uidai.gov.in/ and choose to Locate an Enrolment Center from getting Aadhaar.
- Search for the nearest enrolment center by using any of the given modes comprising of Postal Code, Search Box or State.
- Book your appointment online in your nearest enrolment center.
Fill the Aadhaar correction Form
- The website will assist you in finding the nearest enrolment/update center. Visit the center and fill the correction form given by the executive present there.
- It is necessary to show due diligence while filling the form as you are required to enter all the correct details asking in the form.
- Mention your new or correct name in the Aadhaar correction form and make a review of the overall form so that no mistakes exist for the future.
Submit necessary documents
- Providing document proof of name to the executive is necessary for completing the name updation process.
- Give the original document proof along with the filled correction form to the executive and pay a tiny amount of INR 50 taxes included.
- Ensure that you get your original documents back from the executive. The executive will take the original documents for scanning and completing the identity verification process.
- Along with this, the executive will also ask for the biometric information of the applicant for verification.
Take acknowledgment slip
- After completion of all these formalities, the executive will provide you an acknowledgment slip mentioning URN (Update Request Number).
- If you want to track the Aadhaar update status, use this URN and you will get the status on your screen.
Modes for Updating Aadhaar Card
Three assisted update modes are offered by UIDAI for assisting the applicants in updating their names or other details (biometric or demographic) in Aadhaar.
Update Client Lite
It allows for updating all demographic information along with local language and a facial photograph. It uses biometric information for identity authentication. Officials conduct a document verification process, appointed by UIDAI. Registrars at the update or enrolment center also hold the authority for the same. The verification procedure follows the recommendations delivered by the DDSVP Committee.
The operator takes concerns regarding spelling issues, language problems, and transliteration and so on. He/she provides biometric sign off on all the Aadhaar update requests. The applicant hands over an acknowledgment slip having URN (Update Request Number) used for tracking the update status online.
Updating Client Standard
UIDAI is allowing you to update all biometric and demographic fields along with the local language. Identity authentication takes place based on a biometric check done by the operator at the back-end. The recommendations of the DDSVP Committee are followed for conducting the document verification process. UIDAI appointed officials or registrars at the center are in charge of carefully conducting this process.
The Operator will fill Aadhaar correction form on behalf of the update client concerning transliteration and language/spelling issues etc. An acknowledgment receipt is provided to the applicant in lieu of the process. URN is mentioned in this receipt that you can use to check the online Aadhaar update status.
AUA (Authentication Requesting Agency) Point of Presence
It involves updating only demographic information in Aadhaar and uses biometric checks for identity authentication. In this mode, additional authentication factors may also use by the operator in case of requirement. UIDAI accepts the update after the Registrar verification process as well as the applicant authentication. Online collection of scanned documents is done for the purpose of document auditing. Careful form filling for the update client is the responsibility of the Registrar accompanied by biometric authentication.
The Registrar may be an employee or an outsourced person at the Enrolment/Update Center. A printed receipt is available to the client as an acknowledgment slip in case of a name update request. In this mode, the Registrar considers as the AUA and the custodian of collected data from the update client. The selection of Registrar for the mode is based on expertise regarding the gathering, generation, control or/and management of certain demographic fields.
What are the Documents Required for Change name in Aadhaar Card
Numerous documents are also allowed to use as a document proof for the name while Aadhaar correction process. UIDAI never fails to offer convenience to the Aadhaar holders and other individuals. It has provided a complete list as to what documents can be used as a name, address, photo or date of birth proof for enrolment or update process. You can go through this list by visiting the official website of UIDAI.
- Voter Identification Card
- PAN Card
- Job Card of NREGS
- ATM Card having a photo
- Marriage Certificate
- ECHS Photocard
- A photo identification card issued by PSU
- Driving License
- Ration Card
- Arms License
- Credit card having Photo
- Freedom Fighter Photo Card
- Address Card authenticated by the Department of Post mentioning name and photo
- A handicapped certificate or disability identification
- A photo identification card issued by a recognized institution including college or school
- Certificate of Identity mentioning photo and name authenticated by a Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar
Key points to remember while Updating name in Aadhaar
- Make sure to fill all the demographic details including name carefully in English or local language.
- Avoid the usage of professional titles or courtesy while entering the correct name of the concerned person in Aadhaar.
- Ensure not to skip any required field and fill all the details asked in the correction form.
- Submit proper documents to the executive during the correction process so that no further consequences can arise.
- You need to be patient for getting the entire Aadhaar update process since it consumes about 90 days for the completion.
- Remember to fill all the details in Capital letters in the correction form.
- Recent UIDAI notifications indicate that the Aadhaar holders can make corrections in their name in Aadhaar for twice only.
Track Aadhaar Update Status Online
Infusion of any update in Aadhaar takes the turnaround time of about 90 days. UIDAI allows the applicant to check the status of an update as and when required before receiving the physical copy of updated Aadhaar.
- For the purpose, you need to go to the UIDAI website.
- Select the option “Check Aadhaar Update Status” given under the section “Update Your Aadhaar”.
- You will get update status by entering your enrolment ID comprising of 14-digit enrolment number and 14-digit enrolment date and time mentioned in the acknowledgment slip.
- After download opens your e-Aadhaar by entering a password.
Download updated Aadhaar Card Online
Till the time you get the physical copy of updated Aadhaar, you have the privilege to download updated e-Aadhaar through online platform anytime.
- You need to open the UIDAI website.
- Choose Download Aadhaar from getting Aadhaar.
- Get the downloaded e-Aadhaar after updating name by adopting any of the methods- mobile number, enrolment ID, registered name & date of birth or Aadhaar number.
- You will receive a password-protected pdf which you need to open using the given password format on the website.
As we can see, UIDAI has made everything related to Aadhaar easier for the holders. You either need to sit at your home and avail services online or visit nearest enrolment center for some services such as updating details in Aadhaar. Everyone has become aware of what Aadhaar serves and for how many privileges you become eligible when holds Aadhaar. Also, UIDAI recommends updating all the demographic and biometric information in Aadhaar for authenticity maintenance.