The government of India has integrated a universal biometric ID system used across the country with individuality. Aadhaar has gained an enormous popularity all over the world as the largest biometric ID system. Assignment of a 12-digit unique identification code to all the registered individuals. It has become mandatory for everyone residing in India whether a newborn or old-aged individual, poor or rich. This card constitutes by your biometric (fingerprints, facial photograph and retina) and demographic information (name, address, mobile number and date of birth etc.). You hold the provision of updating these details as and when required. You can change your name/surname in the Aadhaar card after marriage.
Who is Required to Change Name/Surname in Aadhaar Card After Marriage
Marriage considers one of the most crucial and auspicious events of an individual’s life. It uncovers a new chapter in the life of newly-weds. In India, there is a universal tradition of affixing husband’s surname in wife’s name. It simply means that a woman adds in her name, the title of the man with whom she tied a knot and entered into a marriage relationship. However, it is just a choice to add your man’s title in your name after marriage as a generality. No one can force a woman to do so. The act of adding man’s title has been quite prevalent since few years in India and legal addition requires updating in document proofs such as Aadhaar card and others. There may be two cases of changing woman’s name after marriage:
- Replacing your original surname by man’s surname
- Adding your man’s name and surname with your original name
(Important Note: Remember that adding your man’s title in your name is a personal choice and no one holds the authority to forcefully do so.)
Methods to Change Surname in Aadhaar card after marriage
Since it is a personal choice, not only woman but the man may also opt to add her woman’s title in his name. With the trouble-free procedure, you can now easily make changes in your surname in Aadhaar. UIDAI allows doing so by making a personal visit to the Aadhaar Update/Enrolment Center with specific documents as proofs. UIDAI does not offer any online method for changing or updating surname in Aadhaar after marriage. Make yourself aware of how to change surname in Aadhaar after marriage with the given process.
- Using the official UIDAI website, locate your nearest Aadhaar Enrolment/Update Center using Postal Code, State or Search Box.
- With the resulted alternatives, find your nearest center and make a personal visit with certain document proofs.
- The executive at the Enrolment Center will demand for the Aadhaar number to which you need to ensure to provide correct number.
- Then, the executive will provide you with the Aadhaar Update Form, make sure you fill the required information with due diligence.
- Hand over all the required original document proofs with the filled form to the executive when asked.
- The enrollment center will undertake identification authentication by taking your biometric details and feed them accordingly.
- You will get your original document proofs back once the executive completes the document scanning process.
- Executive will hand over you an acknowledgement slip containing URN or acknowledgement number at the completion of the application process.
- At the final stage, You have to pay an amount of INR 50 inclusive of taxes to the executive present at the enrolment center.
The main purpose of URN is to facilitate the applicant with the provision of tracking the Aadhaar update status online by visiting UIDAI website.
Documents Required to Update Husband’s Surname in Aadhaar Card
The updating surname in the Aadhaar card does not come without documentation. This procedure requires the submission of certain documents. While proceeding for the addition of the husband’s surname, you have to visit the enrolment center.
Firstly, documentary proof of marriage is the mandatory requirement to be fulfilled by the applicant. It means that proving marriage is the primary step in document verification process after which you need to submit documents for name proof. Here is the long list of what documents require verification for authentication.
- Marriage certificate
- Document issued by the Marriage registrar containing the marriage proof
- A legal name change certificate
- PAN Card
- Voter Identification Card
- Government issued photo identification cards
- Applicant’s Driving license
- Residing Address card containing the photo and name of the applicant being originally issued by the Department of Posts
- Government issued disability identification card or a handicapped medical certificate
- NREGS Job Card
- Ration card
- Pensioner’s Photo Card
- Tehsildar or Gazetted Officer issued identity certificate mentioning applicant’s photo on a proper letterhead
There is a huge list of identity proofs that you can use as supporting documents for changing surname after marriage. To update the surname in Aadhaar after marriage, Proof of Identity (POI) and Proof of Address (POA) are mandatory for the documents verification. A complete list of documents for POI and POA is available conveniently in the official UIDAI website.
Key points to remember before updating surname in Aadhaar after Marriage
- Updates in Aadhaar Card consume a maximum of 90 days. It means that the process of updating details including surname completes within a time span of 90 days. However, using the URN mentioned in the acknowledgement slip, you can track the Aadhaar update status online and you will get to see the requested update in Aadhaar card if updated.
- UIDAI has set the payment limit of INR 50 (taxes included) for updating Aadhaar details including surname after marriage. You have the provision of filing an online complaint when the executive charges more than the prescribed limit. If you have any complaints regarding update status then, you must go through the Grievance Redressal Mechanism for online complaint.
- Remember that the executive is not legally bound to accept your application request for updating surname in Aadhaar after marriage. The executive holds the authority to reject your update request on the grounds of unverifiable or incorrect documents provided during the update request application. Therefore, you are advisable to present original and correct document proofs to the executive for preventing any fuss.
- You will receive the updated Aadhaar card sent by the UIDAI after the completion of update process. Updated Aadhaar card is sent through the post to the address provided in the Aadhaar Card. However, you can opt for Reprint of Aadhaar online in case of not receiving updated Aadhaar Card. It requires online payment of INR 50 inclusive of all taxes after which the cardholder receives the Aadhaar copy at the provided address.
- Ensure the safety of URN received through the Acknowledgement slip since it helps in tracking the Aadhaar update status.
- Also make sure to double-check all the details filled in the update form including requested updates for preventing future issues.
Check Aadhaar Update Status online
Status tracking of requested updates in Aadhaar has introduced by the UIDAI in the form of a convenient manner. When the executive hands over you the acknowledgement slip having Update Request Number, it clearly implies the provision of tracking the Aadhaar update status.
- Visit the official portal of UIDAI.
- Select Check Aadhaar Update Status where you will get the update status.
- Input your Enrolment ID and Captcha in the designated sections.
- Enter the OTP/TOTP received on your registered mobile number.
- In case, your mobile number is not linked with your Aadhaar, do it from here.
UIDAI has provided most of the conveniences and facilities to Indian residents for Aadhaar-related services. Checking the status of Aadhaar update makes you aware whether the update process has been completed or not.
Download Updated Aadhaar Card Online
After the update process completion, UIDAI sends the physical copy of updated Aadhaar card through post to the applicant. If you have not received this copy, you have the option to make a small online payment and get the physical copy of Aadhaar in your hands. Not only has this, you can download the electronic copy of updated Aadhaar through UIDAI portal on your screen within few moments. And the best part is that downloading updated Aadhaar online is completely free of cost. On the webpage of UIDAI, you will find Download Aadhaar option using which you can download your updated Aadhaar at the same moment. Remember the downloaded PDF of updated Aadhaar will be password-protected for which you are required inputting an 8-digit password formed by your initial name and birth year.
Making changes regarding name in Aadhaar Card involves easier procedure than changing name in document proofs including PAN card, passport or driving license and others. Significance of Aadhaar lies in the fact that it uses as a supporting document for changing name in other document proofs. In Aadhaar, you are not required to file a sworn affidavit for the claim support. Increasing usage of Aadhaar card across India shows the importance of Aadhaar having a surge among Indian individuals.